NSLP K-12 Schools
BeWell in Schools
K-12 schools that follow the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) School Breakfast Program (SBP) and National School Lunch Program (NSLP) have a slightly different definition of BeWell menu options to recognize the nutrition guidelines that are already established with the USDA. While this definition continues to include BeWell’s main components, we focus on the individual food components of the BeWell definition and label this at point-of-service.
BeWell Menu Options
A BeWell menu offering is any of the following:
- Contains 90% of a plant-based, whole food(s)
- Contains a healthy fat-containing food
- Contains a lean protein or plant-based protein
- Has limited added sugar in a breakfast cereal at 6 gm or less per 1 oz and in yogurt at 23 gm per 6 oz
- Contains a high fiber, whole grain at 5 gm or more
- Contains a probiotic food
BeWell recipes will also be trans-fat free, use minimally-processed ingredients, be mindful of sodium and portion size, and follow USDA’s SBP and NSLP nutrition guidelines.